/ Parish Council / Minutes / 8th July 2019



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 8th July 2019

in the Cartwright Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), G Berryman, P Brown, C Cudlip, L Gates, A Gunstone (from item 19/146) and P Tucker. (Parish Councillors). The Clerk. SCCllr D Fothergill, Two Members of the Public attended.


19/143. Chairman’s Welcome. SH welcomed all.


19/144. Apologies. Apologies were given by PCllrs B Brighton, N Davidson, S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair) and Y Guest. Reasons given were accepted.


19/145. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. SH regarding items 19/155 (4), 19/162 and Caretaker and he did not take part in decision making or voted on these interests.


19/146. Vacancies on the Parish Council. The Clerk advised that following PCllr Birch resignation that there was a further vacancy which had been advertised following his informing Electoral Services at Somerset West and Taunton Council. As an election had not been requested the PC was now authorised to Co-opt at the meeting.

Andy Gunstone advised that he would like to be considered and explained to PCllrs why his appointment would benefit the Parish. AG then left the room during which the PC decided to appoint him. He then signed his acceptance of office forms.


19/147. Individual Parish Councillors responsibilities (numbering as per report to AGM on 13th May/3rd June meeting minutes). AG was appointed for the forthcoming year to;


(3) Youth working party Membership – Y Guest, N Davidson, A Gunstone, J Hodge (Co-Opted), S Altria (Clerk)


(9) Recreation Field S Greenhalgh, Y Guest, S Hutchings, C Cudlip, G Berryman, A Gunstone. Co-Opted C Sampson and N Cridge.


19/148. County Councillors’ Report. DF advised;

(1) SCC Finance Update: SCC has reported an improved financial position in its end of year financial report. The council has been able to increase its general reserves by £4.2m to just over £16m (considered a prudent level).


(2) Dementia Support Group Grants: Adult social care is increasing its community offer which is successfully helping people to get the support they want and need quicker and within their own communities. This year SCC have awarded over £200,000 in grants to help form local dementia groups offering respite services and support - the onus is on local and accessible provision and the authority would welcome further applications.


(3) Talking Cafes: SCC are building on the success of the Talking Cafes and Carers services which bring support to people in all kinds of different venues and in many different ways. There are now 14 regular Talking Cafes across Somerset and in the last 18 months they have helped 2,737 people. Further information can be found at; https://somersetrcc.rg.uk/our work/supporting-individuals/somerset-village-agents-project/


(4) BBC Concert Orchestra in Somerset: More than 1,000 Somerset pupils experienced the sound of a live orchestra when the BBC Concert Orchestra gave two concerts organised jointly organised with the Octagon Theatre, Yeovil and Sound Foundation Somerset (SFS) - the Music Education Hub for Somerset

(5). Major Road Completed: The Yeovil Western Corridor scheme has been completed on-time and on-budget. The multi-million-pound package of improvements increases the capacity of several junctions in order to reduce congestion, accommodate increases in traffic and unlock more than 1,500 homes and 20 hectares of employment land. The scheme includes pedestrian crossings and upgraded links for pedestrians and cyclists.


(6) Public Health Recognition: The SCC Public Health Team has earnt the prestigious Sarah Stewart Brown Award from the Faculty of Public Health for their promotion of emotional health and wellbeing of Children/YP.


(7) Historic Signpost Award: Exmoor's Historic Signpost Project's group of over 100 volunteers recently received the West Somerset Environment Volunteer Award 2019 in recognition of their efforts to preserve this iconic feature of Somerset's rural landscape. Exmoor's Historic Signpost Project is supported by SCC.


(8) Foster Carers: SCC recently launched a new scheme to encourage friends, family and communities to consider fostering. For anyone submitting a recommendation that leads to approval of new Foster Parents they will receive a payment of £150 as a 'thank you' for the introduction. In addition, SCC will put £100 into a fund that can pay or subsidise activities for children. To find out more contact the Fostering team on 0800 587 9900


(9) Mental Health Training: Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is a two-day introductory course, aimed at people who want to feel more confident, competent and comfortable in dealing with mental health problems. The next course is running on Friday 9 and 16 August 2019. Anyone wishing to apply for a place should contact PublicHealthTraining@somerset.gov.uk by Monday 15 July 2019.


(10) Special Educational Needs: A free day of fun activities for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability (SEND) and their families takes place at Brookside Academy, Street on 6 July, organised by SCC's Short Break team. For more information call 01823 358117.


(11) Colley Lane Southern Access Road in Bridgwater. A new permanent name is being sought by SCC for this £18.4 m scheme. Email communications@somerset.gov.uk before 5pm 22 July.


(12) Road Safety in CSM. SCC Highways are to put counters in the village in September.


(13) Hyde Lane Safe route to School. Linden Homes are presently progressing their part of the scheme.


(14) Hyde Lane Crossing. Traffic calming scheme including a crossing opposite the School should progress following SCC’s allocation of additional money to smaller Highways Schemes.


19/149. District Councillors’ Report. No report.


19/150. Minutes of the 3rd June Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without amendment. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


19/151. Matters arising from the minutes of the 3rd June. The Clerk reported that;


19/124. Vacancies on the Parish Council. He had informed Electoral Services at SWTC that the three vacancies had been advertised and that Gale Berryman, Lynn Gates and Paul Tucker had been appointed.

He had also posted a further vacancy for likely decision on 8th July.


19/126. District Councillors’ Report. He had advised/requested cutting SWTC/SCC Highways re fallen tree branches in Alexandra Close, West View/Homefield Close and an overgrown Hedge in St Michaels Road outside the SWTC housing alongside the Bus Stop which had left a narrowing of pavement.


17/127 (11) Road Safety Feasibility Report. As the Officer involved was away DF had advised he would be in a position to respond within days of his return that he had reminded Df of this.


16/58 Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. WW have been and jetted the drains in this area. Further complaints have been received this time on the condition of the footpath, dog mess deposits and grass height. Action. Clerk to examine.


16/221. Flooding Sign. Action. ND had attempted to meet with Ruishton Flood Group and would try again.


18/103. Bus Shelters. The Clerk had asked yet again if SWTC grant programme is available and await a reply.


18/134. Footpaths. (2) M5 Tunnel Langaller. SCC have written to Highways England asking if they would give permission to its use. SCC have now replied advising that HE had yet to reply.


18/135. Taunton Transport Plan Consultation. The Clerk advised that PB and himself had written to SCC with the PC comments to ensure that its views on the Plan are not overlooked. As no response had been received, he had written again to ask SCC Highways how this is now to be taken forward. As a reply is still awaited, he had written again asking how this is being taken forward.


18/219 (3) Fingerpost Signs. Two volunteers having come forward and an inventory and pictures of the 8 signs locally have been provided to SCC and a SCC training course attended on 24th May.

Action CC/GB to meet these.


19/17 (2) Rec Park “No dogs” signing. As some individuals despite dogs being banned are taking their dogs in the park and it was previously agreed to buy two signs. AB has got quotes and the signs will be ordered once fencing is in. Clerk also suggesting “Access only when open (or similar) signs” as youths are entering when closed.


19/29. Arundel’s Way notice board. PC agreed the board was in need of attention. This is to be examined by SH/CC and consideration to its replacement perhaps with resiting garage notice board.

Action. Clerk to get quote. SH/CC to inspect board.


19/40 (1). Safe Route to School. The Clerk has written to Linden Homes to ask them to complete surfacing works in Hyde Lane and is still awaiting reply.


19/40 (3) Speed watch. The Clerk restated that the Police had referred to the constabularies website options to take forward operating a scheme.

Action. The Clerk to advise volunteers.


19/85. Highways M5 Junc 25. DF agreed to take back to SCC Highways the PC response that the lack of recognition that there is an issue on road safety and that the lack of amelioration proposed is not good enough.




19/152. Planning (1) Applications:

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

21 5 2019

14 19 0013

Winnats, North End, CSM erection of extension to rear and replacement carport with detached garage.

PC agreed to make

no comment.

25 6 2019

14 19 0016

Dillon’s Road, CSM Outline application for the erection of 1 No. single storey dwelling with garage on land to rear of 32.

PC agreed to highlight Wessex Waters representation.

27 6 2019

14 19 0017

8 Crown Lane, Creech Heathfield. Erection of single storey extension to side.

PC agreed to SUPPORT.

27 6 2019

14 19 0018

3 Meredith Close CSM Erection of single storey side extension.

PC agreed to SUPPORT.

2 7 2019

14/19/0019

Rosemary Cottage, CSM. Replacement conservatory with single storey extension to rear and side.

PC agreed to SUPPORT.

(2) CSM Neighbourhood Plan. The PC had now had the Independents Inspectors Report and had a briefing report upon it. WYG have been asked to update the CSM NH Plan. Dates are awaited from SWTC for their approval and the voting processes (a letter asking for these to be within as a short a timescale as possible had been replied to quickly advising that timescales are already short) in view of the EU delays. The Clerk had prepared an “important to vote” poster and PB had produced materials and organised a stand to promote the NH Plan at the PIP event which Panel members had staffed.

(3) Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension2. An update on the further meeting held with West Monkton PC reps on 18th June was given. It had been agreed in principle to work together in order to achieve a set of agreed aims (see separate doc). A proposal to establish a MHUE2 joint advisory panel with representatives from involved Councils and developers was also agreed to in principle and it had been agreed PB would Chair and the Clerk would act at the principal point of contact for the Joint Panel. Further questions had been put to SWTC Planner AP and a meeting is to be called once their Master Planners had taken on board the points raised on highways.

Action. Clerk to produce the Terms of Reference for the Joint Panel.

(4) SWTC cessation of printing planning application plans. The disappointing but expected letter in the name of the SWTC Chief Exec had been received apologising for the manner of the communication of the decision and explaining a short delay in implementation had been introduced. The letter did not address that whilst producing a saving for that Council this was adding to each Parish Councils costs nor had it reflected the number of complaints that had been summitted by PC’s. The letter and the decision to proceed was noted.

(5) SWTC Local Plan. It was noted that the Strategy team at SWTC have started work on the new Local Plan. That a Consultation on the Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) is planned between 19 July and30 September 2019. The SCI is to set out how SWTC involves the residents, businesses and others when SWTC are looking at local development. The SCI shows that it will operate planning in an open, transparent, accessible and inclusive way and above all, that the purpose of the SCI is to bring a sense of ownership locally by actively involving people in decision making. See from 19 July website; www.somersetwestandtaunton.gov.uk/sci .

The first stage of the Local Plan itself; the Issues and Options document is to be consult on in the late autumn.


19/153. Finance.

(1) Payments Approved; the Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments for July and August, the Clerks June Expense’s £81.42 and other invoices received; Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (3d Security Rec Park 27 5-23.6.19) £302.40, CSM Village Hall (April and May hire) £77.50, Gregory Coles CS Ltd (Septic Tank empty 5 6 19) £198.00, Nigel’s Window Cleaning Co (Bus Shelters 6 6 19) £75.00, CPRE (Membership 19/20) £36.00, Water2Business (Water at Rec Park 8.1.19-26.6.19) £11.62, P Brown (Reimb NH Plan Materials) £93.12.

Nailsea Fencing (Rec Park Fencing) £23,034.00. CSM PC (Funds Transfer to Lloyds Bank Acc) £10,000.00, J&J Miller (Supply and levelling of scalping’s at Rec Park) £1,872.00, K Hutchings (Reimb of caretakes Exp’s) £117.71 and S Greenhalgh (Reimb for Padlocks and roundup) £122.77.

(2) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; Other. Nil. PIP19 (Unity Acc) C Strand £15,

D Woodland £15, Street Food £300, Karebears Childcare £15, Mrs J W Clark £15.

(3) Payments made since last meeting (as authorised) be paid; British Gas (Pavilion Electricity Supply 8.5.19–23.5.19) £32.75, EDF (Engine Shed Electricity Supply DD) £8.00. PIP: Brandon Hire £1414.58 and £180.00, SWTC £70 Licence Fee and Unity Trust Bank Charges (PIP) £18.00.

(4) Payments to be made upon receipt of invoice. Payments authorised to SCC/Porter Dodson Solicitors (for Canal carpark purchase), WYG (NH Plan), EDF (Pavilion and Rec Park Electricity), BGas (Final demand referred to Ombudsman), grass cut at Rec Park, CYP (Equipment for new Youth Club) £250 and T Trump (Cover for caretakers’ holiday), Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (3d Security Rec Park 23 6-23.7.19).

(5) Banking. Clerk confirmed that the Santander Deposit Acc had been closed and the final balance transferred to the HSBC Acc on 18 6 19 in order to ensure funds are available to pay for Rec Park works. The new Current Account with Lloyds is now open and cheques were being drawn on it; next steps are to implement online payments, to advise others to use this account and to pay further funds into the new account.

(6) Pavilion Electricity Supply. The new EDF Account is in place for the Pavilion. The final BGas Invoice had been part paid to reflect contracted tariff not the emergency tariff which had been billed and the matter referred to the Ombudsman. Despite making the part payment timely BGas had then added a late payment charge.


19/154. Party in the Park 6th July 2019. SH reported that this year’s PIP had been a most enjoyable day, once again well organised and stewarded; he paid tribute to all those involved. A debrief event will take place shortly to reflect and start to plan for next year. PB suggested a PC stand at PIP20 as a golden opportunity for the PCllrs to engage with and promote the PCs work. A small promotion budget would be required.


19/155. Rec Park (1) Issues. A report had been received that the roundabout in the toddler area was getting too hot and could cause a burn on a child’s skin. It was agreed to put a warning note on the slide and to raise with a equipment provider at a meeting to be held shortly to see if a solution can be advised. SH advised that 20 tonnes of scalping’s had been laid to the entrances of the Rec Park ahead of PIP. As the caretaker is about to take a summer holiday it was agreed to engage Thomas Trump to provide cover.

(2) Improvements – Fencing. The new fencing has been completed as contracted with the additional gate as agreed; it was decided to retain an element of the cost as a retention until a detailed inspection of the work had been conducted. Concerns of aesthetics have provided unfounded as its colour blends its existence against background planting. A proposal to complete the fencing including the main gates is to be brought later this year.

It was suggested an exit turnstile be considered adjacent to the main gates.

(3) Improvements – Equipment. The Clerk advised the supplier had provide plans for PIP stall as agreed and will produce periodic notices to keep Parishioner’s informed ahead of works. Now PIP has taken place and Planning Permission obtained a meeting with the contractor is to take place on the 17th. SH/CC/CS/Clerk to attend to agree programme of and method of works. SH referred to the roots of some trees extending towards the MUGA and that as these need to be addressed that the developer be asked whilst on site to address; this was agreed.

It was agreed a form of management arrangement was required for the lights of the MUGA’s and some usage.

(4) Improvements – Storage. SH proposed the purchase of a double skinned green ships container which had been offered to the PC at a cost of £1500. This would be large enough to store both PIP and Football items. This was agreed along with its relocation and footings costs, likely to total £2200.

(5) Youth Club. SH explained that the Clerk had arranged for the Fire Service to visit the engine shed and the pavilion. They had advised him that the engine shed would provide a better location for the youth club as the pavilion is a more complex building. Whilst acceptable now greater numbers would require further alarms and lights linked together. It was agreed that the Club would use the pavilion clubhouse in the short term and then have use of the Engine shed once a programme of improvement had been completed (to include providing water, heating, insulation, toilets etc). SH/CC agreed to visit the youth club on 10th to discuss timetabling to emptying the pavilion with the Leaders and to handover keys.

(6) Football. AG suggested having a CSM team based at the Park for 20/21 season.


19/156. Highways. (1) Issues reported. A resident had reported lorry’s ‘shooting out’ of Mill Lane into St Michaels Road as they too heavy and the Lane too steep to hold on their clutches/brakes whilst the road is checked for other vehicles. This had caused concern and is to be reported to Highway’s. (2) Road Safety. The commissioning of a Feasibility Report to show potential options for Traffic Management to reduce speed and volumes. See item 19/148 (12) above. (3) A303 Duelling. It was noted that Highways England had published their preferred route. This largely reflected the PC’s preferred option. As traffic volumes at Junction 25 are likely to mean that the junction will be at full capacity when the new works and NEXUS employment park have been completed there is a concern about the junction’s ability to cope without the deleted connections to the M5.

Action. Clerk to advise HE of its support in principle for the preferred route but to highlight concern over rat running through the village and the ability of junction J26 to cope with traffic volumes.


19/157. Footpaths/Rights of Way. (1) Report. Not this month (2) Rights of Way. The Clerk advised he had spoken to JR twice since the previous PC to try and setup a meeting with him but nominated PCllrs have/are on extended holidays. He anticipated organising the meeting for late July early or early august on their return.


19/158. Youth Club. The Club Leader Chris Higgins first task is speaking to young people in order to make them aware of the Youth Club and to attract members. Posters have been posted and will appear on the Village Facebook site. A request for sports equipment valued up to £250 had also been agreed. 4 Interviews for an Asst Leader are scheduled for the 17th July. See also item 19/155(5) above.


19/159. Fire Service. The set of change proposals for a ‘new’ Service Delivery Model for the D&S Fire Service

(previously distributed) were considered. It was agreed to acknowledge the high regard for the Service, the increasing housing being built along the M5 Corridor and the plans Highways England have to bring the A303

Traffic up to Taunton onto an ever busier M5 (with frequent RTA’s) suggesting the need for an increase in Service. As the consultation options focus on reducing service i.e. loss of an appliance in Taunton, another at Bridgwater and during the day at Wellington it was agreed to respond raising the PC’s concern. A Public consultation event is to be held at Taunton Library on 30th July (1-5pm) for those interested. The irony of the Command and Control Centre remaining unused at Blackbrook has been previously noted at PC meetings during the period of austerity.

Action. Clerk to respond to the Fire Service Consultation.


19/160. Canal Carpark. The Clerk advised Porter Dodson Solicitors had been instructed to handle the purchase on behalf of the PC and their further advices are awaited. Reassurances had been given on availability of funds.


19/161. Technology (1) Village Hall Cartwright Rm/PC. SH/PB/CC/Clerk had met with Richard Harris and Derrick King of the VHall Committee earlier in the evening to learn of their proposals for installation. Installation of Wi-Fi and a hearing loop were welcomed and a smart speaker is planned for the main hall. As either a wall mounted smart screen or projector is envisaged for the Cartwright Room the merits of these were discussed. At a recent visit to WM PC it was felt the screen there was too small to be read clearly so the PC preferred the later. The Clerk suggested that the Cttee visit the BACH Hall the following day to see for themselves as it would be in use. Further discussions are to take place. It was noted that the PC may have to provide a projector in order to respond to the need to examine in details (see item 152 (4) above).

(2) Conference System. Given its non-use, the requirement to set up and dismantle for each use and its limited success the Clerk suggested that its sale be considered. It was agreed to consider a sale at the next meeting.

19/162.Allotments. The Clerk confirmed he had issued the draft leases as requested. The Society had returned there’s and it is awaiting countersigning by the PC as the Landowners lease is awaited.

Action. SH offered to remind the Landowner.


19/163. Website. The PC Clerk confirmed that, although no longer a Parish Councillor, Adrian Birch has kindly offered to maintain the Creech website on behalf of the PC. It was agreed that in addition to Adrian and the PC Clerk, only members of the PC should have editing access to the website.  A discussion took place on the need to have more up to date content on the website and that items should be under appropriate tabs.  A search facility and link to the Creech Facebook page was also needed.  It was agreed that LG would edit/manage content and would seek input from possible contributors.  LG would liaise with Adrian regarding the improvements to the site, as discussed. LG also asked new PCs to submit a short bio and photograph.

Action. New PCllrs to submit a Bio to the Clerk and LG to discuss the website with the webmaster.


19/164. Correspondence. None were raised;


19/165. Items for next meeting. Local Plan consultation and to consider sale of conference system.


Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net

Future Meetings;

The next CSM PC mtgs are on 2nd Sept and 7th Oct at 7pm in the Cartwright Room, Village Hall.

A Planning meeting will only be held on August 5th at 7pm if there is a need to consider applications.


The meeting was closed at 9.30pm.