/ Parish Council / Minutes / 4th March 2019



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 4th March 2019

in the Cartwright Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), PCllrs S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), A Birch, B Brighton, P Brown, C Cudlip and N Davidson (Parish Councillors). SCCllr D Fothergill, TDBCllr D Durdan. The Clerk. Four Members of the Public attended.


19/48. Minutes Silence. A minutes silence was held to respect the late PCllr David Knight.


19/49. Apologies. PCllrs Y Guest, G Lucas and C Sampson. Reasons given accepted.


19/50. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. CC regarding item 19/56 (18/110(2)), ND re item 19/69 and SH regarding items 19/72 and Caretaker. BB advised she live nearby to the appellants property 19/59(1). None took part in decision making or voted on their interest.


19/51. Mill Lane Grit Box. A request to relocate the box was considered and it was agreed to move to the Ryesland Way Junction.

Action. CC agreed to oversee move. Clerk to ask Highways.


19/52. Andrew Penna, TDBC Project Manager for Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension Phase 2 attended to update on the projects consultation and master planning progress and to answer questions. TDBC are actively working on master planning and are intending to consult with CSM PC and its residents shortly. Further regular meetings will also be held. The consultation undertaken by Persimmon/Redrow in Monkton Heathfield was felt to be premature as the plans do not address a lot of issues (such as road layouts and densities) and that full consultation events should be held in CSM. As the planned ‘all through’ School will be in CSM the number of houses at 1700 would be less than originally thought. To address this and that the employment land had not been developed half the employment area had now been designated for housing (700). The Clerk asked why the whole area had not been allocated for Housing as housing being co-located with Businesses can cause problems, the site would be away from Motorway access and there is further employment land allocated at Walford and Nexus. PCllrs raised the importance of dealing with road safety though CSM as the priority and AP confirmed that road safety works in CSM will be funded by a section S106 requirement upon the developers. BB questioned AP on the viability of the 6 shops planned and what would happen if they were not viable. The Clerk questioned the siting of the Community Centre. AP confirmed that he had accepted an invitation to attend the Annual Parish Meeting to update residents in CSM.

As the Planning Inspectorate had decided to dismiss the appeal against TDBC decision not to grant planning permission off Langaller Lane AP was asked to thank colleagues for defending its position.


19/53. Elections 5.2.19. It was noted that the Elections for the Parish Council and the Somerset West and Taunton Council will take place on 2 May 2019. The notice of election will be published on 18 March. Once the notice of election is posted individuals can submit nomination forms to stand as a Parish Councillor or Ward Councillor. As all current Councillors must stand down and be re-elected, each must complete the nomination papers which were distributed.


19/54. Vacancy. There is now a vacancy. Given the proximity to the election it was decided to hold the vacancy open.


19/55. Minutes of the 4th February Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without any amendments being made. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


19/56. Matters arising from the minutes of the 4th February. The Clerk reported;

16/58 Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. WW have been and jetted the drains in this area. Further complaints have been received this time on the condition of the footpath and separately on dog mess deposits.

Action. CS is to examine the site.


16/221. Flooding Sign. Action. DK and AB to meet with Ruishton Flood Group to determine best way forward. C/F.


18/103 . Bus Shelters. The Clerk had asked yet again if TDBC grant programme is available and is awaiting a reply.


18/110 (2) Ryesland Way slope to Canal. The contractor has the agreed works underway.


18/131 Bench at the junction of Hyde Lane and Arundells Way. Installation of the concrete base is underway.

Action. CC/SH to install bench on the concrete base.


18/134. Footpaths. (2) M5 Tunnel Langaller. SCC have written to Highways England asking if they would give permission to its use. SCC have now replied advising that HE had yet to reply.


18/135. Taunton Transport Plan Consultation. The Clerk advised that PB and himself had written to SCC with the PC comments to ensure that its views on the Plan are not overlooked. As no response had been received he had written again to ask SCC Highways how this is now to be taken forward. A reply is still awaited.


18/210 (5) Overgrowth outside by the undertakers at North End. The Clerk confirmed that he had brought this neglected area to TDBC attention and as a result they had confirmed that the land had been tidied. DD had asked the Clerk to send him confirmation of the works completion as he is still getting complaints so he we could raise it with TDBC Officers. AB had suggested that the overgrowth may be from neighbouring house.

Action. DD to raise with TDBC Officers in the first instance.


18/219 (3) Fingerpost Signs. Three volunteers have come forward and an inventory and pictures of the 8 signs locally have been provided to SCC. They are now awaiting the next SCC training course (expected April).


18/211 (7) Winter Gritting. A request to site an additional grit bin alongside the red telephone box in St Michaels Rd has been submitted along with a request to top up 7 (and dig out 2) of the existing bins to SCC. A reply had been received after two months saying the matter was still with Highways Services Manager for decision.

Action. The Clerk once approval has been received from Highways to ensure filled.


19/17 (2) Rec Park “No dogs” signing. As some individuals despite Dogs being banned are taking their dogs in the park it was previously agreed to buy two signs. AB has got quotes and the signs will be ordered once fencing is in.


19/20. Youth Club. An update had been received from CYP advising that the preferred candidate had asked to start in the summer and options along with accommodation issues would be considered at a youth panel mtg to be arranged.

Action. Clerk to organise a Youth Panel Mtg.


19/29. Arundells Way notice board. PC agreed the board was in need of attention. This is to be examined by SH/CC and consideration to its replacement perhaps with resiting garage notice board.

Action. Clerk to get quote. SH/CC to inspect board.


19/33. Road Safety. SCC Highways had replied advising following the works they would be asking Highways England for higher parapets for Hyde Lane Bridge and would nominate an officer to respond to the request for a further meeting.


19/40 (1). Safe Route to School. The Clerk has written to Linden Homes to ask them to complete surfacing works in Hyde Lane and is awaiting reply.


19/40 (2). Carpark at the rear of the School. CS had asked why the new carpark is not yet in use.

Action. Clerk to contact David Wilson Homes.


19/40 (3) Speedwatch. The Clerk restated that the Police had referred to the constabularies website options to take forward operating a scheme.

Action. The Clerk to advise volunteers.


19/57. County Councillors’ Report. DF reported;

(1) SCC Finances 2018/19: Current financial year predicted outturn for SCC Finances at Month 10 shows an underspend of £1.385m. The contingency budget has a residual sum of £ 1. 788m uncommitted at this stage and is very likely to contribute to further under spending at the year-end. This compares with a projected overspend in September last year of around £19m and demonstrates the significant financial turnaround achieved.


(2) SCC Finances 2019/20: Key points of the 2019/20 budget as agreed at Full Council:

  • £780m gross spend on services in the county next year

  • 2.99 percent increase in the County Council's element of Council Tax plus 1 per cent increase ring-fenced for

Adult Social Care

  • 91p per week rise in Council Tax for Band D

  • General Fund reserves to double to £19m by the end of the next financial year (previously £5.6m)

  • Investment strategy agreed for up to £100m of capital borrowing

  • Ring fenced £lm to develop preventative work that will reduce demand on services.

  • An extra £200,000 made available for winter maintenance in 2019/20.

  • Savings proposals on gulley clearing and jetting dropped

  • Delay on proposals to make savings in flood water management (£80,000), Dementia support (£100,000) and

support to help vulnerable young people in to work (£50,000).

  • £224m in capital projects in the County over the next four years


(3) Secondary School Places: Of 4,500 applications received for new secondary school places for September, 94.18% (4,271) of first preferences were met. 1% increase on last year. Primary places for this Sept will be notified in April.


(4) Hinkley Point C: EDF's new Sedgemoor Campus in Bridgwater opened at the end of February as the second largest hotel in Britain! The Campus boasts 29 quality accommodation units that can house almost 1,000.


(5) Somerset Motofest: is organised by SCC Road Safety team. The 3rd Motofest is on Sat and Sun 22/23 June, at the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovil. The event is for anyone with a passion for motors, staying safe on the road and is free!


(6) M25 J25 Improvement works: Members of the public and local businesses are invited to meet the team behind the M5 Junction 25 improvements and see the plans in more detail at two community drop-in events. These will be held at Ruishton Village Hall between 3pm and 8pm on Thursday 7 March and 14 March.


(7) Children's Services: Ofsted inspectors carried out a snap inspection of SCC's early help and social work to assess how cases were dealt with in the community. Their conclusion is that vulnerable children in Somerset are receiving an improving service with confident staff making good decisions. No priority areas for improvement were found.


(8) Adult Social Care: In addition to last year’s £6m increase in fees paid to care providers this year another above inflation increase of an additional £2.6m will improve the support and care for vulnerable adults during 2019/2020.

-

(9) Delayed Transfers of Care (DToC): In December the Somerset Adult Social Care Team achieved the best DToC figures compared to other South West authorities, taking the strain off the local NHS during the winter pressure period.


(10) Outdoor learning centre’s: More than 28,000 bed nights have been spent in one of SCC's four outdoor learning and residential centre’s last year. Half of these nights were enjoyed by young people from across Somerset. These provide daytime activities to support and expand on their school based learning. Engagement in the National Citizenship Programme continues to grow and benefits from access to the centre’s including Kilve Court and Charterhouse. Activities are also available for individuals to book as well as schools and youth groups. For more information www.kilvecourt.co.uk


(11) Dillington House: will be embracing the Spring towards the end of this month as a fantastic venue for Mother's Day, with both cream teas and a carvery option. Visit www.dillington.com or call 01460 258648 for more details
o
r to find out more about April's activities, including the Easter Eggstravaganza on 20th-21st April.


(12) Library services: Taunton Library was named 'Library of the month' for February by the 'Love Reading' blog https:llwww.lovereading.co.uk/blog/library-of-the-month/lovereading- library-of-the-month-7 -taunton-library-814


19/58. District Councillors’ Report. DD reported;

(1) Somerset West and Taunton Council A balanced Budget has been set for the new Council with no cuts to services. £16m New Homes Bonus and £15m Community Infrastructure Levy Funds to be spent on regeneration and infrastructure investments. New proposals will include pump priming grants for new businesses and building a commercial approach and generating new income streams. Forming the new Council has meant setting a uniform rate of Council Tax which has been set at £159.63.


(2) Cricket World Cup Trophy Tour. The ICC Men cricket World Cup is coming to the County Ground with International matches to be held on 8th, 12th and 17th of June.


19/59. Planning Appeals: The PC having been advised that two Planning Appeals had been submitted to the Planning Inspector had been invited to make further comments. The PC considered the appeals decided to stand by the original comments which the Inspectorate are already aware of; (1) Erection of dwelling to South of 33 Dillons Road, CSM (1) 14/18/0010 PINS Ref: APP/D3315/W/18/3219264 06 February 2019 and (2) Erection of 1 No. single storey dwelling on land to the north of Barnoaks, Worthy Lane, CSM, 14/18/0028 PINS Ref: APP/D3315/W/19/3220211.


19/60. Planning Applications received. The following applications received were considered;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

30/1/2019

14 19 0002

66 Leighton Drive CSM - erection of single storey extension to the side.

To Support subject to retention of two car parking spaces.

19/61. Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension (MHUE2) Area. Following the public consultation event held by

Persimmon and Redrow at the Monkton Heathfield Village Hall on Thursday 28th February Persimmon had refused to hold a full consultation in CSM had now offered to attend a PC meeting. Having heard from TDBC (see item 19/52 above) PCllrs decided to hold a meeting with West Monkton PC as a next step.

 

19/62. CSM Neighbourhood Plan. Though the draft plan is still with the Independent Examiner there has been progress since the Governments decisions following the European Courts rulings which affected the HRA and SEA process. Comments have been received from the statutory Consultees on the scope of works. WYG had provided information to justify the policies and the difference between policies in the Reg14 and 15 CSM NDP. TDBC have posted the Environmental Report on their website along with the SEA scope of works and the HRA documents. TDBC have notified all those who have either submitted a regulation 16 representation on the NDP with additional representations having to be received by 11th April 2019 in writing.  The representations will be sent to the Independent Examiner without further comment for her to determine. TDBC Electoral services have confirmed that due to the statutory timescales for publishing the notice and documents associated with the referendum it will not be held at the same time as the Local Government Elections and that a poll in June is realistic.


19/63. Road Safety. See item 19/32 Mtg with SCC Highways to be organised. It was decided to request if SCC Highways (or their consultants) could provide a feasibility report to show the potential options for Traffic Management to reduce speed and volumes through CSM. It was suggested that as Gladman’s had made proposals for Langaller Lane along North End which had been agreed to by SCC Highways that these could be incorporated in the report (though with a wider pavement) along with the suggestions made last year by Highways along St Michaels Rd. To which improvements along Creech Heathfield Road should be considered and the 20mph area extended.

Actions. DF to make enquiries of SCC highways.


19/64. Party in the Park 6th July 2019 (SG,CS,YG,AB).

AB reported that arrangements were proceeding well. A transfer of funds from PC current account to the new Utility Bank account and payment for the sound system hire and a deposit for the toilets were agreed.


19/65. Finance.

(1) Grant requests. A Grant was agreed to Musgrove Park Hospital in memorial of the late PCllr D Knight.

(2) Cheques drawn since last meeting as approved at the February meeting; British Gas (Pavilion Electricity Supply 9.1.19–8.2.19) £108.84 and TDBC (Planning Fee for Rec Park Application) £231.00.

(3) Payments approved the Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments, Clerks Feb Expenses £92.36, Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (Rec Park 3d Security 21.1.19-17.2.19) £302.40, Creech St Michael VHall (Room hire Feb 19) £30.00, Nigel’s Window Cleaning (5 Bus Shelters Cleaned 11 2 19)£75.00 , Greenslade Taylor Hunt (Valuation Fee on Allotment Site)£390.00, Glasdon (Waste bin Bull St) £540.25, Thomas Trump (Cover for Caretaker)£90.00, Unity Trust Bank (Cheque to increase Balance on Acc held for PIP) £3,500.00, Bright* (production services) Ltd (PIP PA System) £1,320.00, Exmoor Luxury Loos (PIP Toilet Hire dep) £409.20, Rob Bowerman (Canal Handrail)£984.00, J C Cudlip (Concrete Canal path and seat base for Arundells Way and install handrail to Canal) £1,180.00, Musgrove Park Hospital (Grant) £250.00. Clerk £1,000 to purchase a computer for PC use following PC decision. A decision was also taken to list payments for agreement at meetings rather than the Clerk read them out.

(4) Monies Received since the last meeting.

PIP19 Food Vendors Wigmores £150.00, T Blew £150.00 and Tracey Snacks cash £150.00.

(5) Payments authorised to be made as accounts are received

EDF (Rec Park Garage Electricity 14.1.19-), British Gas (Pavilion Electricity Supply 9.2.19–8.3.19) and

and Grants for 4 Neighbourhood Watch Signs for Ham Village and a further 4 Ham Road (later paid by WW).

(6) Invoices not paid; Opus (Pavilion Gas supply 12.1.19- 11.2.19) Inv £Nil and account £19.50 in credit.

(7) Unity Trust Bank. The Clerk confirmed that the account was now open and a first statement for Feb evidencing the PC initial payment had been downloaded.


19/66. Rec Park Improvements. (1) Fencing SG advised he had asked 5 companies to quote for fencing the rec park in sections. The fencing would be similar to the schools 2.4m high. It was agreed to spend upto £12k to provide 190 sq metres of fencing along the rear and to left side of the rec park. (2) Play and Exercise Equipment/ MUGA/Running Track. CS had sent a report advising that following her getting agreement on the requirements and getting quotations the Clerk had completed and submitted the forms required to apply for the S106 monies. TDBC had subsequently granted authority to spend. The Clerk had also prepared tender documents and completed planning application form. Details of lighting is due and once received planning can be applied for and after an option review tenders issued.

It was noted that there will be some closure time for the park, potentially up to a month in order to ensure children and construction do not conflict and that it was hoped to get work done before July. The football teams are to be made aware of the PC plans and steps taken to ensure that construction and football fixtures are not conflicting.

 

19/67. Highways.

(1) M5 J25. It was noted contractors (Griffiths) consultation events are to be held on Thursdays 7th March and 14th March 3pm to 8pm at Ruishton Village Hall, TA3 5JD. The Clerk advised that he had asked Griffiths for a meeting so they could outline the mitigation works in CSM during the construction and in response they had agreed to speak with their Client SCC Highways who had since suggested dates. DF suggested the date the A358 is impacted is established.

Action . Clerk to agree meeting with SCC Highways/Griffiths.


(2) Mill Lane Grit Box. See item 19/51 above.


(3) A358/A303 Duelling. The Clerk advised he had attended an update from Highways England. A preferred route announcement is to be made before the 21st June, probably after the elections. The route would be a line on the map

and the following year would be spent consulting and examing the implications of the route (e.g. examing and addressing crossing points, junctions etc). HE had explained that it will be c4years before contractors start work.


19/68. Footpaths/Rights of Way. Following decision to support application for Right of Way on the fields between the Rec Park and Langaller Lane the Clerk advised that he had written to the Land Owners or their agents and informed them of the intention to support the designation of the paths as RofWays. SCC RofW had also been informed. The next step is to issue and collect Evidence forms from villagers who have walked the paths.


19/69. Canal Car Park. The PC had been asked by SCC Property if it would consider its interest in (or to confirm that it has no Interest) in acquiring the carpark as a community asset as SCC had received interest from another party. ND having declared a personal interest earlier then advised that he was not the interested other party however he would be interested and he then left the room. The PC then discussed the request. As it was not known how much SCC would want or the extent of the costs of operations or maintenance it was agreed to ask for a 3 month window to enable the PC to consider the implications. CC advised that he had cleared some of the overgrowth on the canal tow path alongside.


19/70. Correspondence. The Clerk highlighted the importance of responding to TDBCs consultation on its vision for Garden Town. He understood that the deadline for responses had now been extended so he asked PCllrs to let him know their views so a draft reply could be considered at the next meeting ahead of a revised deadline.

Action. PCllrs to inform the Clerk of their response to the Garden Town consultation.


19/71. Items for next meeting. None requested.


19/72. The Council decided to exclude Public and Press for these items. Allotments. To consider the allotment site.


The meeting was closed at 9.20pm.


Future Meetings;

The next scheduled PC meetings are on 1st April and 13th May (Annual Council Meeting)2019 at 7pm in Cartwright Room of Village Hall.

The Annual Parish Meeting is to be held on Friday 26th April 7pm for 7.30pm in the main Village Hall.

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council. Tel 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net