/ Parish Council / Minutes / 3rd June 2019



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 3rd June 2019

in the Cartwright Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), G Berryman (from item 19/124), B Brighton, P Brown, C Cudlip, N Davidson, Y Guest, L Gates (from item 19/124) and P Tucker (from item 19/124) (Parish Councillors). The Clerk. SCCllr D Fothergill, SWTCllr K Durdan. Five Members of the Public attended.


19/121. Chairman’s Welcome. SH welcomed all and then paid tribute to past PCllr Fred Bates who had died on the 29th May.


19/122. Apologies. No apologies were given.


19/123. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. ND re item 19/137 and SH regarding items 19/133 (2), 19/141 and Caretaker. SG re Fencing item 19/133 (2). None took part in decision making or voted on their interest.


19/124. Vacancies on the Parish Council. The Chair advised that there are three vacancies which had been advertised. Three individuals Gale Berryman, Lynn Gates and Paul Tucker advised that they would like to be considered and each explained to PCllrs why their appointment would benefit the Parish. All then left the room during which the PC decided to appoint all three. All three then signed their acceptance of office forms.


The Clerk then advised that PCllr Birch had resigned and that there was a further vacancy which would now be advertised. It was decided to make an appointment at the 8th July meeting if an election is not called. Anyone interested in becoming a PCllr is asked to contact the Clerk prior to the end of June for an informal discussion and to attend the 8th July PC mtg.

Action. The Clerk to inform Electoral Services at Somerset West and Taunton Council.


19/125. Individual Parish Councillors responsibilities (numbering as per report to AGM on 13th May). The following appointments were agreed for the forthcoming year;


(1) Finance Sub Cttee Membership – P Brown, S Hutchings, N Davidson, S Altria (Parish Clerk).


(2) Planning working party membership, B Brighton, S Greenhalgh and S Hutchings (also responsible for enforcement)


(3) Youth working party Membership – Y Guest, N Davidson, J Hodge (Co-Opted), S Altria (Parish Clerk)


(4) Neighbourhood Plan to reconfirm membership of the NH Panels membership. Co-opted Parishioners – (Co-opted) C Cudlip (Chair), J Birch, F A'Court, L Crowley, A Hayes, J McCarthy, A Oldham, J Read and J Scott. PCllr P Brown, P Cllr B Brighton, S Coles (WYG) and S Altria (Parish Clerk).


(5) PIP19 working party S Greenhalgh, Y Guest, S Hutchings, P Tucker, C Cudlip and G Berryman.


(6) Highways and Fly tipping S Greenhalgh P Brown, P Tucker


(8) Publicity, Website and Communications – L Gates.


(9) Recreation Field S Greenhalgh, Y Guest, S Hutchings, C Cudlip, G Berryman. Co- Opted C Sampson and N Cridge.


(10) Wessex Water/Flooding/Environment Agency/Canal and River Trust – N Davidson, B Brighton.


(11) Health and Safety – C Cudlip and G Berryman


(12) New Pavilion. Deleted.


(13) It was agreed that membership of the following working parties are to be determined by full Council as and when required; Personnel, Complaints and Grievances, Appeals, Disciplinary Appeals.


Previously agreed at 13th May AGM Meeting;


(7) Footpaths - Fred A’ Court and Diana Eubank Scott (Co-Opted).


(14) Village Hall P Brown


(15) United Charities G Hodge (Co-Opted)


(16) MHUE2 Proposal to create a joint advisory panel with WM PC – Brenda Brighton, Peter Brown, Charlie Cudlip, Simon Hutchings, S Altria (Parish Clerk).


19/126. District Councillors’ Report. DD explained that the staffing at Somerset West and Taunton Council had been depleted as a result of staff taking redundancy offered as part of the merger of Councils to form SWTC. This is impacting adversely on the ability to undertake works. PCllrs had identified an adverse impact upon the DLO/Planning and Printing Services. Following the last meeting KD had arranged for a fallen tree in Alexandra Close to be addressed but the branches have been left and that they are now covered with overgrown grass. Other areas highlighted were the West View/Homefield Close and an overgrown Hedge in Sycamore Walk alongside the Bus Stop which had left a narrowing of pavement.

Action. Clerk to advise SWTC/SCC Highways and to request cutting.


19/127. County Councillors’ Report. DF advised;

(1) Ham. That he had spoken to Police and the Environment Agency (as had the Clerk) concerning the difficulties being experienced as highlighted by four residents at the APM and at the last PC meeting. It was noted the EA only own the salmon run and that the rest is owned by the house holders. Despite this the EA would be putting up new signing and the Police were visiting more often.


(2) Panorama. The programmes 'Crisis in Care' highlighted the work by Adult Social Care staff based in Somerset. In two very moving programmes, the difficulty of managing ever-increasing demand with reduced funding was bought into sharp focus. The programmes provide a balanced view of the challenges faced and it is hoped that it will help galvanise the national debate on the future funding of care. Broadcast dates are May 29th Crisis in Care - Who Cares? June 5th Crisis in Care - Who Pays? And is available through BBC iPlayer during June.


(3) National Volunteering Week: The first week of June is National Volunteering week. The invaluable work of volunteers from across the County is recognised and volunteering through the County Council could not be easier - whether its driving or mentoring, assisting the libraries or AONB's there are opportunities for everyone at https:llvolunteeringsomerset.gov.uk/


(4) LIFEbeat camps: providing intensive residentials where young people work with adults to form a 'creative community' for a week. LiFEbeat focus on outcomes which allow young people to build greater understanding of themselves and others: self-esteem; emotional intelligence, social skills and resilience. For further information visit https:lllifebeat.uk/somerset/somerset-camp-2019


(5) Small Highway Improvement Schemes: SCC have added £1.3m of funding to their £lm budget to deliver an increase from 20 to 60 schemes over the next 12 months. Work is now ongoing to re-schedule.

(6) Resurfacing programme 2019/20: SCC have 70 resurfacing schemes (17 Principal Road Schemes, 51 Non-Principal Road Schemes 2 flood related re-surfacing’s) totaling 22 miles to deliver. In addition there will be Surface Dressing at 152 separate locations totaling 148 miles of roads. The total budget for this work is £14.5m.


(7) Libraries: Libraries across the County are hosting pyjama parties from 3 to 7 June - and distributing books to celebrate BookTrust's 'Pyjamararna' event aimed at getting more children reading. Families are encouraged to wear pyjamas and/or bring in teddy bears to join in with the fun at Pyjamarama themed Toddler Rhyme Times and other activities taking place throughout the week.


(8) Libraries 2: Volunteers are needed this summer to support this year's Space Chase Summer Reading Challenge, taking place in Libraries. Last year, over 7,400 children took part thanks to volunteers who need to be aged 13 and over, with a love of reading, and available during the summer holidays (13th July and 7th Sept). For more info visit www.somersetlibraries.co.uk/srcvolunteering


(9) Cider standards: Somerset’s producers have been tested as part of a programme of annual food sampling to ensure that food is properly described, compliant with required labelling, and does not contain unauthorised additives or other substances that would make them unsafe. Most samples taken were satisfactory. However, six samples were found to have artificial sweeteners which were not properly declared, and one contained sulphites which were not indicated. All alcoholic content was satisfactory.


(10) Connecting Devon and Somerset Update: Connecting Devon and Somerset is one of a number of local UK broadband programmes hit by delays. Over 300,000 homes and businesses now have access to superfast broadband entirely thanks to CDS. Nearly 40,000 more have access to improved broadband connections because of the CDS programme. Over 250,000 miles of optical fibre has been laid by the CDS programme open.


(11) Road Safety Feasibility Report. The Officer involved is away at present but he would be in a position to respond within days.


(12) Hyde Lane Safe Route to School Footpath. Linden Homes were due to commence works replacing a street light first and completing pavement work. SCC have asked Highway England to raise the bridge parapet.


19/128. Minutes of the 13th May AGM Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without amendment. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


19/129. Matters arising from the minutes of the 13th May. The Clerk reported that;

19/102. (4) Adsborough Bus Shelter. As the neighbour had then raised a concern over their sightlines when leaving their property, the lower panels had been removed to ensure they can see. This had upset a bus user who had asked for reinstatement. The PC considered the conflicting issues and after noting that even if a clear panel were installed this would cloud in rain and deteriorate quickly the PC decided, having consulted SCC Highways, to leave the panels removed. The Clerk has advised the bus user of the PC’s decision.


19/103. (3) Langaller. Residents have asked for a directional sign. The Clerk had asked SCC Highways for a sign to be installed but SCC Highways had replied saying they don’t have the funding.


16/58 Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. WW have been and jetted the drains in this area. Further complaints have been received this time on the condition of the footpath, dog mess deposits and grass height. Action. Clerk to examine.


16/221. Flooding Sign. Action. ND had attempted to meet with Ruishton Flood Group and would try again.


18/103. Bus Shelters. The Clerk had asked yet again if TDBC grant programme is available and await a reply.


18/134. Footpaths. (2) M5 Tunnel Langaller. SCC have written to Highways England asking if they would give permission to its use. SCC have now replied advising that HE had yet to reply.


18/135. Taunton Transport Plan Consultation. The Clerk advised that PB and himself had written to SCC with the PC comments to ensure that its views on the Plan are not overlooked. As no response had been received, he had written again to ask SCC Highways how this is now to be taken forward. A reply is still awaited.


18/210 (5) Overgrowth outside by the undertakers at North End. The Clerk confirmed that he had brought this neglected area to TDBC attention and as a result they had confirmed that the land had been tidied. DD had asked the Clerk to send him confirmation of the works completion as he is still getting complaints so he we could raise it with SWTC Officers.

Action. DD had raised with TDBC Officers.


18/219 (3) Fingerpost Signs. Two volunteers have come forward and an inventory and pictures of the 8 signs locally have been provided to SCC. The next SCC training course was on 24th May and both had attended. A report has been received and circulated and questions asked.

Action. PC H&S Cllrs to meet to respond to these. A further volunteer or two required. Agreement to reimburse receipted expenses and to provide PPE items taken. Clerk to speak to Ruishton PC re a fingerpost.


19/17 (2) Rec Park “No dogs” signing. As some individuals despite dogs being banned are taking their dogs in the park and it was previously agreed to buy two signs. AB has got quotes and the signs will be ordered once fencing is in. Clerk also suggesting “Access only when open (or similar) signs” as youths are entering when closed.


19/29. Arundel’s Way notice board. PC agreed the board was in need of attention. This is to be examined by SH/CC and consideration to its replacement perhaps with resiting garage notice board.

Action. Clerk to get quote. SH/CC to inspect board.


19/40 (1). Safe Route to School. The Clerk has written to Linden Homes to ask them to complete surfacing works in Hyde Lane and is still awaiting reply.


19/40 (3) Speed watch. The Clerk restated that the Police had referred to the constabularies website options to take forward operating a scheme.

Action. The Clerk to advise volunteers and also encourage attendance at PIP.


19/68. Footpaths/Rights of Way. The Clerk had made evidence forms available. The Parish Volunteer footpaths officer had briefed at the APM and Evidence forms are to be collected from villagers who have walked the paths. BB highlighted that it appeared that the landowner had fenced the field and that would prevent walkers using these routes in the interim.


19/85. Highways M5 Junc 25. DF agreed to take back to SCC Highways the PC response that the lack of recognition that there is an issue on road safety and that the lack of amelioration proposed is not good enough.


19/106. Use of Technology. SWTC have stopped issuing plans - WM PC have a large screen to use in a PC mtg. CC to examine the microphone system. PB to establish Village Hall Cttee plans for a Hearing loop in Ctte room. Action. SH/BB to visit WM PC to see their screen in use. AB to examine the microphone system. PB to establish Village Hall Cttee plans.


19/130. Planning (1) Applications:

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

1 5 2019

14 19 0007

Rec Park off Leighton Drive, Hyde Lane, CSM – Erection of two large additional pieces of play equipment and lighting to the existing and an additional MUGA.

PC agreed to SUPPORT.

19/130 (2). SWTC decision to cease forwarding plans of applications to Parish Councils. The PC had previously noted this decision was made without consultation and whilst the Clerks had responded to SWTC asking that it continues to provide plans the Clerk had been asked to write formally to SWTC stating that CSM PC wants large scale paper plans to continue to be provided. The Clerk advised he had written to the C Ex and a reply is awaited.

(3) CSM Neighbourhood Plan. The Clerk advised that the draft plan is still with the Independent Examiner (IE). He had asked SWTC if enquiries could be made to see if this was going to be received soon given the delay resulting from the EU decision. SWTC advised our having not received anything from the IE for the CSM Neighbourhood Plan should be seen as positive as if there was something significant emerging from the plan, she may have wished the PC or SWTC to comment. In preparation for the next steps: SWTC are continuing to keep the Electoral Services team updated; the portfolio holder has been briefed, Democratic Services have been asked to put the CSM NHP on the forward plan for the committee’s (Scrutiny and Executive in August and full council (date tbc). PCllrs were dismayed at the length of the process for adoption after the referendum and wished to challenge the need for SWTC to place the NHP before the full council as this would delay adoption until the autumn. PCllrs also discussed the importance of ensuring Parishioners are aware of the referendum and the need to vote.

Action. Clerk to ask that the Full Council decision be delegated/earlier and to draft an ‘importance of voting’ flyer.

(4) Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension2 (MHUE2). Following the meeting held with West Monkton PC, SWTC Planners and their master planners Thrive at which their proposals were discussed the PC Aims from MHUE2 document and the proposal for an advisory panel to other Councils had been sent. The Clerk had spoken to SWTC (AP) who advised that further discussions had since been held with SCC Highways and Thrive are now working on revised proposals. AP also advised he had met with Persimmon and agreed to aim for an agreed development. AP therefore suggested that all parties meet once Thrives work was concluded and he would suggest dates.


19/131. Finance.

(1) Payments Approved: The Clerks and Caretakers Salary, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments, the Clerks

the Clerks May Expense’s £ 153.44 and other invoices received; Zurich Municipal (Insurance 19.7.19-18.7.20) £1,627.43, Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (Rec Park 3d Security 25.4.19-21.5.19) £378.00, Zurich Municipal (Insurance 19.7.19-18.7.20) £1,627.43,SALC (SALC/NALC Affiliation Fees 2019) £723.00,Exmoor Loos (PIP toilets balance £2,406.00, JM Entertainment (PIP Band balance)£2,430.00,Lloyds Bank (New Account Opening Balance) £5,000.00, Jim Pike (Emergency Light and Fire detector in Pavilion Ent Hall) £198.00.

(2) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; Other Tone Youth (Pitch Fees May 19) £40.00.

PIP19 (Unity Acc) Bou A Bur B T/As £15.00, R Leadbeater £15, Clarke Heathfi Ltd £40, Holly Skittrell £15,

Layz Ricks £150.00 and Trans credit 2 £15.

(3) Payments already authorised to be paid; British Gas (Pavilion Electricity Supply 8.4.19–24.5.19) Layz Ricks (PIP Clean Up Day) £133.50. EDF (Pavilion and Engine Shed Electricity Supply DD).

(4) Banking. The Clerk advised that Lloyds had made an error in processing identity documents/application form and this had been resubmitted so the new account was not yet open. Santander had replied to the request to close the deposit account by requesting identity documents and the Clerk advised he had submitted these and he anticipated the balance being transferred and the account closure now being actioned. An enquiry had also been submitted to SALC to see if three signatures are still required and to inform them about paying for childcare and a response is awaited.

(5) Internal Audit. Following the successful completion of the Internal Audit completion, the Clerk has forwarded Papers for 18/19 year to PKF Littlejohn, the Councils External Auditors for their examination.

(6) Pavilion electricity supply. The Clerk updated that following difficulties experienced with transfer of the supply for the engine shed by British Gas the switch to the new supplier EDF had now taken place on 24th May.

A final BGas bill is expected.


19/132. Party in the Park 6th July 2019. SG reported that arrangements were proceeding well for PIP and tickets sales are strong.3 bands are booked. A discussion took place on the need for a PCllr to be in nominated as being officially in charge on the day and it was agreed this would be shared between SH and CC. It was noted that there is a need for more people to be skilled in public event organisation. The Septic Tank is to be emptied.


19/133. Rec Park (1) Issues. It was noted a girl had been reported as being hurt but having made enquiries of her mother the Clerk had been advised she had fully recovered. The Clerk had asked for lining of the pitch to take place ahead of the final two games of the season to be held over the next two weekends. The need for more lidded 2’x2’ bins were considered for storing of waste and it was agreed to buy in principle. (2) Improvements – Fencing, SG advised levelling of the site ahead of fencing next week had been completed; SG explained that the work required was greater than envisaged and as a JCB was required to install boulders to prevent Travellers accessing the park this had been used for a further day and some vegetation cut by contractor in order to ensure the work was completed ahead of the contractors coming onto site. This was agreed. It was noted that the roots of some trees were extending towards the MUGA and they will need to be addressed. YG suggested that an additional gate be installed to assist exiting the park in an emergency and this was agreed. A discussion about the fencing of the rest of the Park (retaining two exits) took place and is to be considered at the next meeting.

(3) Improvements – Equipment. The Clerk advised that references were coming in and it was agreed to appoint Porter Dodson Solicitors at a cost of £750 to handle the contract documentation. The supplier had agreed to provide plans for PIP stall and produce periodic notices to keep Parishioner’s informed ahead of works. Planning permission is awaited. YG advised it was not practical to have wood CSM PC/PIP plaques so PB agreed to source some plastic/wood ones.




19/133. Rec Park (4) Youth Club. In order to ensure a new club can be started based at the pavilion a smoke alarm and emergency light had been installed inside the pavilion. It was agreed to replicate these in the main room and to ask Fire Service to inspect the Pavilion. It was agreed that SH will acquire and install a hand ring bell and renew the first aid kit as required. A discussion took place on stowing of football equipment and it was agreed to investigate acquiring and siting a shipping container to be sited to the rear of the park. This was agreed in principle and requirements and costs are to be determined. The pavilion to be emptied asap after the final game.

Action. The Clerk to instruct Electrician and to ask Fire Service to do an inspection. SH to examine emergency items and the Rec Park Panel to examine and cost acquiring a container and to empty the Pavilion.


19/134. Highways. (1) Issues reported. None. (2) Road Safety. The commissioning of a Feasibility Report to show potential options for Traffic Management to reduce speed and volumes. See item 19/127(11) above.

(3) Hopkins Field/Hyde Lane. SCC Highways proposal to implement parking and waiting restrictions was considered at the last meeting the Clerk had asked why they are making this proposal and request the survey/traffic management plan and risk assessment. The reply received appeared to suggest some confusion exists so the Clerk will speak to the officers direct to ask why they were doing this.


19/135. Footpaths/Rights of Way. (1) F A’ Court’s monthly report had been previously circulated.

14.2 Rights of Way. The journey from the ploughing of the long walked paths behind North End to the present call for them to be made PRoWs was reflected upon and it was agreed that BB/PB meet with John Reed (as the landowners agent) to see if an mutually agreeable way forward can be found, subject to retaining RofW T23. The Clerk advised that he had raised the underpass with SWTC Planners as part of the MHUE2 aspirations discussion.

Action. The Clerk to ask for a meeting with JR.


19/136. Youth Club. The Clerk advised that the panel had now agreed the previously circulated contract with CYP and the PC agreed that this could be signed. SH/YG then signed the contract. The Panel had met with the Club Leader Chris Higgins and his first task is to speak to young people in order to make them aware of the Youth Club and to attract members. An offer to assist by circulating posters and to post on the Village Facebook site had been made. A request for sports equipment valued up to £250 was also agreed. See also item 19/133(4) above.


19/137. Canal Carpark. The Clerk advised SCC had agreed to sell the Carpark to the PC as long as its Solicitors cost are met. It was agreed to instruct Porter Dodson Solicitors to handle the purchase on behalf of the PC.


19/138. Correspondence. None were raised;


19/139. Items for next meeting. Storage container and additional fencing of the Rec Park.


19/140. The Council decided to exclude Public and Press for these items. (1) Allotment site. To consider next steps. (2) Planning enforcement. To note confidential actions being taken by SWTC.

Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net

Future Meetings;

The next PC mtgs are on Mondays 8th July and 2nd Sept 2019 at 7pm Cartwright Room, Village Hall.

A further meeting will be held on 5th August if planning applications are received.


The meeting was closed at 9.05pm.