/ Parish Council / Minutes / 2nd September 2019




CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 2nd September 2019

in the Cartwright Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), B Brighton, P Brown, C Cudlip, L Gates, and P Tucker. (Parish Councillors). The Clerk. SCCllr D Fothergill, SWTCllrs D and K Durdan. Five Members of the Public.


19/166. Chairman’s Welcome. SH welcomed all.


19/167. Apologies. Apologies were given by PCllrs N Davidson and A Gunstone (Reasons given were accepted). Absent: G Berryman and Y Guest.


19/168. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. SH regarding items 19/174 (19/162) and Caretaker. He did not take part in discussions nor were there any decisions taken on these.


19/169. Mill Lane. Chris Dormer attended to highlight problems with heavy traffic using the Mill Lane. He explained it is too narrow for the size of vehicles, that some have to run up to get up the slope and that there is no refuge from the heavy traffic. Discussion took place as to who was operating the vehicles, the extent of the highway and whether they are being operated within planning and licensing.

Action. CD to provide Clerk with videos. Clerk to make enquiries of Traffic Commissioner’s, Planning Enforcement and SCC Highways.


19/170. Rec Park Booking 12 9 20. Tracey Clayton requested permission to have use of the Rec Park in order to hold a party/fest in memory of her son who died in unexplained circumstances. It was explained that SWTC were the licensing authority and that in applying for an event licence details are required to be submitted. TC was asked to provide these to enable an informed decision on permission to be made at a future PC meeting.

Action. TC to provide details of planned event and a detailed event planner. Clerk to draft a Rec Park hiring policy.


19/171. County Councillors’ Report. DF advised;

(1) School transport: For the first time in over 25 years SCC will be operating their own school bus fleet from the beginning of the new school year. The low emission buses represent a major investment into school transport service delivery whilst saving the County Council money.

(2) Castles and Coast Way: A new walking trail is now open to the public. The Castles and Coast Way is a 13-mile circular footpath which runs from Nether Stowey to Stogursey and on to the Somerset coast at Shurton Bars. The route links the Coleridge Way to the Coast Path.

(3) Apprenticeships: Over 3 years SCC has invested in more than 300 apprenticeships, helping people get started on their career and up skilling existing staff to further their career. This year 50 new apprentices will be starting. SCC is the first local authority in the SW to use the Social Work Degree Apprenticeship; 12 staff across Adults and Children's Service are to up skill to become Social Workers.

(4) Stand Up For Care: The Local Government Association, County Council Network, and the Association for Directors of Adult Social Services have given their backing to SCC's Stand Up For Care petition. The petition calls for cross-party discussions before Christmas on how to address the national social care funding shortfall. Search 'Somerset' on the www.petition.parliament.uk website.

(5) Shared Lives Service: SCC has transferred its Shared Lives service to Shared Lives South West in order to widen the scheme from its current focus on people with learning disabilities to support younger adults with physical disabilities, the elderly, those being discharged from hospital and people with mental health conditions. Shared Lives support adults with additional needs matched with a trained and paid carer who opens their own family home to the person needing support.

(6) iAero: SCC is working with the aerospace industry, including Leonardo Helicopters on the flagship iAero Centre to encourage innovation, collaboration and growth in the aerospace sector and supply chain, ensuring it remains competitive in a fast- changing world. Construction of the £8m cutting-edge aerospace tech centre is being built in Yeovil with iAero due to be completed in July and tenanted later in 2020.

(5) Squibbers Way: SCC asked residents to permanently name the £18.4 million Colley Lane Southern Access Rd. 250 nominations were received from 2,728 people with 59% of votes for Squibbers Way.


19/172. District Councillors’ Report. DD/KD advised;

(1) Re item 19/169 Mill Lane offered to establish what SWTC owned or if sold to whom.

(2) St Michaels road bushes behind the bus shelters have been cut back.

(3) That the Coal Orchard carpark has been reduced to 21 spaces.

(4) Fire Service are encouraging individuals (incl individual Cllrs) to respond to their ‘Safer Together’ Consultation (note from Clerk; CSM PC has already responded). An option is the removal of the 3rd appliance from Taunton.


19/173. Minutes of the 8th July Mtg (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). SG suggested that as the Chair had left the meeting temporarily to attend to a reported fire at the Rec Park that this should have been recorded. It was agreed to note that the Chair had left the Clerk (as the Responsible Finance Officer with the agreement of the PC) explaining the Finance items 19/153 in his absence in this meeting minutes. The minutes of the 8th July meeting were then agreed without amendment. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


SG suggested recording future meetings. CC advised that following examination the PC owned equipment was not suitable for the PC but other equipment which is available is. He highlighted a problem will be the music being played from the adjacent Hall whilst meetings took place. It was agreed to trial recording at the next mtg.

BB suggested noting in the minute’s proposers and seconders on key items in order to demonstrate accountability. a discussion took place during which the Chair asked each PCllr for their view as to whether they were for or against but as no vote was taken it was not passed.


19/174. Matters arising from the minutes of the 8th July. The Clerk reported that;

16/58 Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. Clerk visited following further complaints and found no real improvement in the vegetation either side of the fencing despite the owners (TDBC) previous commitments to improve over time. Clerk has raised with SWTC. No reply received to date.


Whilst onsite the Clerk also examined the canal bank at Derham Close. He contacted Larkfleet developers who have advised as there is no fencing they have decided to leave vegetation insitu as a precaution against children entering the canal and that the bank will become the responsibility of a management co shortly (upon leaving site)

Action. PC decided that the Clerk raise with Planning and Developers that its wish is that the bank should be cleared, tidied and grassed to the water’s edge ahead of their leaving the site. Lifebuoy to also be requested.


16/221. Flooding Sign. Action. ND had attempted to meet with Ruishton Flood Group and is to try again.


18/103. Bus Shelters. The Clerk had asked yet again if SWTC grant programme is available and await a reply.


18/134. Footpaths. (2) M5 Tunnel Langaller. SCC have written to Highways England asking if they would give permission to its use. SCC have now replied advising that HE had yet to reply. Clerk had further reminded RofW.


18/135. Taunton Transport Plan Consultation. The Clerk advised that PB and himself had written to SCC with the PC comments to ensure that its views on the Plan are not overlooked. As no response had been received, he had written again to ask SCC Highways how this is now to be taken forward. As a reply is still awaited, he had written again asking how this is being taken forward. Clerk raised with SCC highways at a meeting on 2 9 19 who had undertaken to ask colleagues and advise.


18/219 (3) Fingerpost Signs. Two volunteers having come forward and an inventory and pictures of the 8 signs locally have been provided to SCC and a SCC training course attended on 24th May. Upto £250 funding agreed. A update report from Volunteers had been received.

Action It had been agreed Expenses upto £250 would be reimbursed and that the volunteers could get quotes (without giving commitment) from contractors to enable PC to decide which are paint or repaired (if any).


19/17 (2) Rec Park “No dogs” signing. As some individuals despite dogs being banned are taking their dogs in the park and it was previously agreed to buy two signs. AB has got quotes and the signs will be ordered once fencing is in. Clerk also suggested “Access only when open (or similar) signs” as youths are entering when closed.


19/29. Arundels Way notice board. PC agreed the board was in need of attention. This is to be examined by SH/CC and consideration to its replacement perhaps with resiting garage notice board.

Action. Clerk to get quote for a new board. SH/CC to inspect board.


19/40 (3) Speed watch. The Clerk restated that the Police had referred to the constabularies website options to take forward operating a scheme.

Action. The Clerk to advise volunteers.


19/85. Highways M5 Junc 25. DF agreed to take back to SCC Highways the PC response that the lack of recognition that there is an issue on road safety and that the lack of amelioration proposed is not good enough. A meeting was held with SCC highways on 2 9 19 who had undertaken to put counters in and to advise.


19/156. (3) Highways. A303 Dualling. Clerk having advised HE Ltd of its support in principle for the preferred route had highlight concern over rat running through the village and the ability of junction J25 to cope with traffic volumes. A reply had been received stating further works to the J25 would be undertaken to ensure it would cope.

The Clerk had therefore written back asking for confirmation that a meeting will be held to discuss CSM next year once plans were more developed. This has been agreed to but will be with HE agents. He had also raised with SCC Highways that the SCC Scheme was being built to meet current volumes and NEXUS but not the additional traffic from dualling the A303. SCC Highways had advised that HE Ltd had signed off their project and would therefore know of volumes and it was up to them to determine adequacy. It may yet be that once completed that the links would be required or HE Ltd would have to undertake further work to J25.


19/160. Canal Carpark. The Clerk advised Porter Dodson Solicitors had been instructed to handle the purchase on behalf of the PC and their further advices are awaited. Ongoing.


19/161. Technology (1) Village Hall Cartwright Rm/PC. SH/PB/CC/Clerk had met with Richard Harris and Derrick King of the VHall Committee plans to install Wi-Fi and a hearing loop were welcomed and a smart speaker is planned for the main hall. As either a wall mounted smart screen or projector is envisaged for the Cartwright Room the merits of these were discussed. Further discussions are to take place.

(2) Conference System. Given its non-use, the requirement to set up and dismantle for each use and its limited success the Clerk suggested that its sale be considered. It was agreed to consider a sale at the next meeting.

19/162. Allotments. The Clerk confirmed he had issued the draft leases as requested. The Society had returned theirs and it is awaiting countersigning by the PC as the Landowners lease is awaited. Still O/S. Clerk had spoken to the site owner and was advised that he wishes to consult his solicitor first.

19/163. Website. LG reminded PCllrs to submit a Bio to the Clerk. Peter Brown asked if LG could review the current website and come up with suggested revisions and take forward agreed improvements. LG asked for the website to be on the October agenda.


19/175. Planning (1) Applications: It was noted that these applications were received and decisions made;

Date

Ref

Application

Decision

22 7 2019

14 19 0023

Lapthorne Adsborough Erection of single storey Ext and double garage.

SUPPORT without additional comment.

26 7 2019

14 19 0025

Hill View Barn, Adsborough Removal of condition 11 of planning ref 43 09 0043 seasonal workers' accommodation

SUPPORT with a request that an evidence record of employment be kept.

(2) CSM Neighbourhood Plan. CC advised that the CSM NH Plan has been updated to reflect the findings of the Independents Inspectors Report and that SWTC have advised that the referendum will take place on the 10th Oct. The Clerk advised that should just enable SWTC to ratify the plan if resident’s support before the end of 2019.

It was agreed to fund the printing of an ‘importance of voting’ leaflet.

Action. Clerk to call a meeting of the CSM Neighbourhood Plan Panel.

(3) Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension2. Following the agreement in principle to work together with West Monkton PC a set of agreed aims (see separate doc) and to establish a MHUE2 joint advisory panel with representatives from involved Councils and developers a Terms of Reference for the Joint Panel had been drafted. These had been shared with WM PC who had agreed with the majority but a point had been raised that required resolving. DF alerted that following SWTC decision to allocate half the land allocated for employment to additional housing consideration is now being given by SWTC as to where those houses should be sited.

Action. Clerk to arrange a first meeting of the CSM and WM PC Joint Panel.

(4) SWTC Local Plan. It was noted that the Strategy team at SWTC have started work on the new Local Plan and that a Consultation on the Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) is being undertaken until 30 Sept 2019. See website; www.somersetwestandtaunton.gov.uk/sci. The PC considered the document and agreed to make 3 points (i) Once initial consultation and responses have been received a reply should be sent to advise of acceptance (or not) of the points submitted and a further, shorter consultation then be undertaken in order that consultees can see the other responses and proposed changes ahead of a report going to Executive for decision. (ii) Should on planning applications, once consultation has taken place, revision or amendment be identified then correspondence should be sent to those who were consulted incl PC ahead of a decision. (iii). App D Neighbourhood Planning should include a single page schematic giving an overall diagram and timeline of the required steps in order to pictorially demonstrate the NH Plan process being undertaken.


19/176. Finance. It was noted that a meeting of the finance panel had been held on 19.8.19.

(1) Payments approved; the Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments, the Clerks July and August Expense’s £166.82 and other invoices received; A Birch (PIP Reimb for 2 fraudulent £20 notes) £40.00, S Hutchings (Reimb Fence Spikes) £16.30, Somerset Sports Playing Fields (Annual Safety Inspection and Risk Assessment) £110.00, Thomas Trump (Caretaker cover July 23rd-29th +Sept 2nd) £80.00, CSM Village Hall (July hire) £45.00, Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (3d Security (Rec Park 21 7-21.8.19) £344.40, Community Youth Project (Youth Club sessions 3.6.19-31.8.19) £1,916.16, J Miller (Allotment rent 4.9.19-3.9.20) £675.00, EDF (Rec Park Pavilion Electricity) £97.99, Sutcliffe’s (Play Equip instalment 1) £70,000.00, Zurich Municipal (Inc Insurance Rec Park Equip) £1,042.21, Nigel Cridge (Reimb of grass cutting expenses) £167.18.

(2) Monies Received and banked since the last meeting; SWTC (Reimb of S106 part fencing £10,870.00)

PIP19 proceeds £13,087.46 and Oggy Oggy TA Ltd £50.00.

(3) Payments already authorised to be paid. Bibby Factors (3d Security Rec Park 24 6-21.7.19) £268.80, WYG (NH Plan) £1,800.00 and £900.00, PKF Littlejohn LLP (Ext Audit 19/20) £360.00, 3d Security (PIP Event) £702.00, Toxico (PIP Org Shirts) £242.40, Harlequin Carnival Club (PIP19 Marshalls) £300.00, NHS SW Ambulance Serv (PIP First Aid) £600.00.

(4) Payments to be made upon receipt. To authorise payments to SCC/Porter Dodson Solicitors (for Canal carpark purchase), Sutcliffe’s (Rec Park works), Lightmain (MUGA supply) EDF electricity and Devon & Somerset Fire Protection (Pavilion Safety Insp). Grant 4 Neighbourhood Watch Signs for Ham Village (plus 4 for Ham Road).

(5) External Audit (18/19) A “Nil issues” report has been received from PKF Littlejohn the PC External Auditors and the Clerk thanked PCllrs for helping to achieve this once again.

(6) Accounts (1st Qtr 19/20). The Clerk reported (previously circulated) that the Council’s receipts for the period 1st April to 30th June 2019 are £34,337.31 and the expenditure £20,299.27 (excl provisions); both are in line with expectations. The Finance Cttee Chair had checked and signed the bank rec to the four original bank statements and Fin Cttee had reviewed the budget monitoring report. Detailed discussion took place on emerging aspirations and how they may be funded following the Rec Park works. The report was welcomed and accepted.

(7) Cashflow (2019/2020). Rec Park Improvement Project. The Clerk explained that SWTC have again refused to pay the contractors direct despite holding the money. The Finance Sub Cttee had drawn up a cashflow payment/works programme schedule in order to pay the contractor in instalments and then reclaim sums from SWTC as work progresses - some six to seven times. This was agreed by the PC. It was noted that the PC will need to keep to budgeted expenditure during this time.

(8) Emerging items (2019/2020). It was noted that the items identified by PCllrs since the setting of the budget in Jan have potential to impact upon payment cashflow for the Rec Park Improvement Project. (see items 6 and 7 immediately above). The Fin Sub Cttee had considered each and agreed how they could be funded/ progressed should the PC agree to proceed with any. This was noted.

(9) Banking. It was noted that the Santander Deposit Acc is closed with monies paid into the HSBC Current Acc. A new online account has been opened with Lloyds; cheques are fine but not all PCllr signatories are online yet (though two signatories are). The HSBC Acc is to be closed shortly and the balance moved to Lloyds. The Unity (PIP) Acc remains in place.

(10) Fin Regs. The Fin Sub Cttee had considered in detail a new draft issued by NALC. The Clerk had highlighted changes and the Cttee had recommended the PC adopt; this was agreed. There are added tasks for the Clerk.

(11) Financial Controls. The Fin Sub Cttee have reviewed and recommended that the sum that can be expended in an emergency be increased from £250 to £500 (exc vat) and to formally incorporate the previously agreed PIP Panel controls as an appendix. These were agreed.

(12) Risk Assessment of Assets. All PC assets are insured, including the about to be commenced Rec Park items (at additional premium). It was agreed all PCllrs would inspect some assets as in previous years.

Action. Clerk to contact each member to agree requirements.

(13) Energy. Both electricity supply accounts are now with EDF. The last bill from BGas had been part paid by the Clerk had been referred to the regulator for decision (awaited); despite this BGas had added a late payment charge and since referred to debt collection agency who have agreed to go back to BGas.


19/177. Party in the Park. Nothing to report.


19/178. Rec Park (1) Issues. None. (2) Improvements – Fencing. Paused whilst Rec Park Improvements are underway. To be revisited later. (3) Improvements – Equipment. CC advised that the Contractors had arrived that day as had been agreed. Three meetings have taken place with the contractor. A programme and method of works had been received and H&S statements submitted. SH referred to the roots of some trees extending towards the MUGA and that as these need to be addressed - the developer had been asked for a quote. It was agreed that the fencing to the infant park would not now be changed; as a result, a charge of £309 had been suggested for additional surfacing. However, it had subsequently agreed that the PC would remove old fencing in lieu. This had been done. The Clerk explained that Western Power were likely to need to inspect the site soon.

(4) Improvements – Storage. The Clerk had spoken to the owner of the shipping container to find out when the container would be empty and available for transportation. He had advised that he would meet with the Chairman this week to agree and that he would get a quote for the transportation. It was noted that footings would need to be in place. A discussion then took place on the Village Hall plans to sell a stage. CC expressed his view that this should not be lost to the Parish to be used. SG suggested that an offer be made to stow the stage in the container or perhaps one of the buildings at the Rec Park.

Action. PB to offer to store staging to the Village Hall Cttee at the Rec Park.

(5) Youth Club. The Clerk advised that as the contractors had advised that the pavilion would be inaccessible during October the Village Hall Cttee Rm had been booked for Club meetings. The youth club had since said given numbers and lack of heating that the Pavilion was not suitable during the winter and had requested to meet in the VHall Cttee Room until end of March. He had asked the Village Hall Cttee if they could provide that free of charge and their decision is awaited. The Club members had also asked to be part of the design and planning of the work to take place to the former engine shed. The Clerk suggested he apply for an Awards for All Grant to help finance in due course once works had been agreed and quotes obtained.


19/179. Highways. (1) Issues reported. No additional points. (2) Road Safety. The need for a feasibility Report to show potential options for Traffic Management to reduce speed and volumes had been put to SCC Highways at a meeting held on 2 9 19 along with need for an east of Taunton strategy. It was suggested that this could be in the form that they agreed earlier in the year with an unsuccessful developer providing it was extended to cover all the bridges. (3) M5 J25 Works. An update had been provided by SCC Highways and it had been agreed that additional counters would be placed in the village in October. A request had also been made for speed repeater signs and engineer to examine the scope for low cost work in the village to help. (4) Hyde Lane Works. The meeting held had also discussed progress on the various works in Hyde Lane. PCllrs were reassured that the various works (by motorway bridge, safe route to school, school crossing were all progressing and that 3 humps would be sited in Hollingsworth Estate (and that consultation on their location would be undertaken).


19/180. Footpaths/Rights of Way. (1) Report. Previously circulated. SG advised he had seen inspectors and directed them to the reported tree damaged paving in St Michaels Rd (2) Ham Bridge. SCC had agreed to provide a sign on their bridge this autumn.


19/181. Youth Club. An Asst Leader Lauren Doolan has been appointed to the Club by CYP to work alongside Leader Chris Higgins and Volunteer Barbara Williams. There are twenty members at present but the Leaders are attending Monkton Heathfield School Assemblies during Sept to increase membership. Creech News had agreed to buy Bean Bags for the Club. PB advised that Creech Flower Show had agreed to donate £250 for equipment.


19/182. Code of Conduct. NALC had issued an updated code of conduct and it was agreed to adopt.


19/183. Carey Grove Park. It was agreed to consider at the October meeting.


19/184. Correspondence. None were raised;


19/185. Items for next meeting. Carey Grove Park, sale of conference system, website and putting in place standard email addresses for the PC.

The meeting was closed at 9.30pm.


Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net


Future Meetings; The next CSM PC mtgs are on Oct 7th and Nov 4th at 7pm in the Cartwright Room, Village Hall.