/ Parish Council / Minutes / 1st April 2019



CREECH ST MICHAEL PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the CSM PC held at 7pm on Monday 1st April 2019

in the Cartwright Room of the Village Hall.

Present; S Hutchings (Chair), PCllrs S Greenhalgh (Vice Chair), A Birch, B Brighton, P Brown, C Cudlip, N Davidson, G Lucas and C Sampson (Parish Councillors). SCCllr D Fothergill, The Clerk. Three Members of the Public attended.


19/74. Chairman’s Welcome. SH welcomed all.


19/75. Apologies. PCllrs Y Guest. Reason given accepted.


19/76. Declarations of Interest. Declarations of Individual Members. SG re item 19/84(2), ND re item 19/91 (2) and SH regarding items 19/91 (1), Planning 19/81(1) and Caretaker. None took part in decision making or voted on their interest.


19/77. Minutes of the 4th March Mtg. (These had been previously circulated to Cllrs). The minutes of the meeting were agreed without any amendments being made. These were then signed and dated by the Chair as an accurate record of the meeting.


19/78. Matters arising from the minutes of the 4th February. The Clerk reported;

16/58 Land in front of 2-32 Crufts Meadow. WW have been and jetted the drains in this area. Further complaints have been received this time on the condition of the footpath and separately on dog mess deposits.

Action. CS is to examine the site.


16/221. Flooding Sign. Action. ND agreed to meet with Ruishton Flood Group to determine best way forward.


18/103. Bus Shelters. The Clerk had asked yet again if TDBC grant programme is available and is awaiting a reply.


18/110 (2) Ryesland Way slope to Canal. Works completed.


18/131 Bench at the junction of Hyde Lane and Arundells Way. Bench installed on a concrete base by CC/SH.

SCC Highways licence to be signed.


18/134. Footpaths. (2) M5 Tunnel Langaller. SCC have written to Highways England asking if they would give permission to its use. SCC have now replied advising that HE had yet to reply.


18/135. Taunton Transport Plan Consultation. The Clerk advised that PB and himself had written to SCC with the PC comments to ensure that its views on the Plan are not overlooked. As no response had been received he had written again to ask SCC Highways how this is now to be taken forward. A reply is still awaited.


18/210 (5) Overgrowth outside by the undertakers at North End. The Clerk confirmed that he had brought this neglected area to TDBC attention and as a result they had confirmed that the land had been tidied. DD had asked the Clerk to send him confirmation of the works completion as he is still getting complaints so he we could raise it with TDBC Officers. AB had suggested that the overgrowth may be from neighbouring house.

Action. DD to raise with TDBC Officers in the first instance.


18/219 (3) Fingerpost Signs. Three volunteers have come forward and an inventory and pictures of the 8 signs locally have been provided to SCC. The next SCC training course is on 18th April. One can attend, One cant and one has yet to

advise his availability.


18/211 (7) Winter Gritting. A request to site an additional grit bin alongside the red telephone box in St Michaels Rd had been submitted along with a request to top up 7 (and dig out 2) of the existing bins to SCC. The Bin (see 19/51) in Mill Lane has however been relocated to the site and it is understood SCC Highways have now filled the bins.


19/17 (2) Rec Park “No dogs” signing. As some individuals despite Dogs being banned are taking their dogs in the park it was previously agreed to buy two signs. AB has got quotes and the signs will be ordered once fencing is in.

Clerk also suggesting “Access only when open (or similar) signs” as youths are entering when closed..


19/20. Youth Club. An update had been received from CYP advising that the preferred candidate had asked to start in the summer and options along with accommodation issues would be considered at a youth panel mtg to be arranged.

Action. Clerk to organise a Youth Panel Mtg.


19/29. Arundells Way notice board. PC agreed the board was in need of attention. This is to be examined by SH/CC and consideration to its replacement perhaps with resiting garage notice board.

Action. Clerk to get quote. SH/CC to inspect board.


19/33. Road Safety. SCC Highways had replied advising following the works they would be asking Highways England for higher parapets for Hyde Lane Bridge and would nominate an officer to respond to the request for a further meeting.


19/40 (1). Safe Route to School. The Clerk has written to Linden Homes to ask them to complete surfacing works in Hyde Lane and is still awaiting reply.


19/40 (2). Carpark at the rear of the School. CS had asked why the new carpark is not yet in use.

Action. Clerk to contact David Wilson Homes and ask SCC Highways to see if the road been adopted by highways.


19/40 (3) Speedwatch. The Clerk restated that the Police had referred to the constabularies website options to take forward operating a scheme.

Action. The Clerk to advise volunteers and also encourage attendance at PIP.


19/51. Mill Lane Grit Box. Relocated to the Ryesland Way Junction by CC/SH.


19/63. Road Safety. It was decided to request if SCC Highways (or their consultants) could provide a feasibility report to show the potential options for Traffic Management to reduce speed and volumes through CSM.

Actions. DF to make enquiries of SCC highways.


19/67. Highways. (1) M5 J25.The Clerk advised that he had asked Griffiths for a meeting so they could outline the mitigation works in CSM during the Action. Clerk arranged a meeting with SCC Highways 12th March 2019.


19/68. Footpaths/Rights of Way. Following decision to support application for Right of Way on the fields between the Rec Park and Langaller Lane the Clerk advised that he had written to the Land Owners or their agents and informed them of the intention to support the designation of the paths as RofWays. SCC RofW had also been informed. The next step is to issue and collect Evidence forms from villagers who have walked the paths. Clerk O/S. BB highlighted that it appeared that the landowner was fencing the field and that would prevent walkers using these routes in the short term.


19/79. County Councillors’ Report. DF reported;

(1) Enhanced role for Public Health: Somerset County Council welcome nearly 200 public health nursing staff into the fold from 1 April, committing to continuing to give children the best start in life. Staff made up of Health Visitors, School Nurses, Assistant Practitioners and Admin Support officially transferred

from Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust to SCC’s Public Health team. They will continue to work with local communities and families in different settings such as homes, children’s centres, GP surgeries and Early Year settings.


(2) High Speed Broadband: Connecting Devon and Somerset (CDS) broadband programme has announced that it is now offering vouchers through the national BDUK Better Broadband Scheme. All homes and businesses in the County with broadband speeds of less than two Megabits per second (2Mbps) and without a published delivery date for superfast broadband within the next 12 months, are now eligible to apply for an interim solution under the voucher scheme. Vouchers worth up to £350 would contribute towards the cost of equipment and installation of a 4G, Fixed Wireless or Satellite solution. Applications need to be made through registered suppliers on the approved supplier list at ttps://basicbroadbandchecker.culture.gov.uk/


(3) Increased library facilities: Students from Bishop Fox’s and The Castle School in Taunton recently participated in an inspirational session that showcased the latest in both Virtual and Augmented Reality Technology as part of the Somerset Digital Skills Talent Academy programme. They were among the first to try out new Virtual Reality headsets that are now available at libraries across Somerset.


(4) South Somerset Special Needs School: The Secretary of State for Education has approved SCC to work with a sponsor organisation to deliver a new special ‘free’ school in South Somerset to provide much needed quality local places for children with Special Needs in order to reduce out of county education and costs.


(5) Equalities: SCC have been working with its public sector partners in Somerset to agree a joint set of equality objectives for the County as part of the Councils commitment under the Public Sector Equality Duty. This requires SCC to think proactively about improving the lives of those protected under the Eq Act 2010.

(6) County wide parking review: The County-wide parking review (for Towns with on-going parking issues) is underway starting with Burnham-on-Sea, Highbridge and Frome.


(7) Apprenticeship to Permanent: One of the challenges in Learning Disabilities is to get people into paid employment. SCC are very pleased therefore that EDF Hinkley Point C, who had taken six people on as apprentices, have now given them all full-time employment contracts. This is not only a great result for the individuals concerned but also a fine example of what can be achieved when working closely with major employers.


(8) DofE Awards: Somerset has seen a 20% increase in young people taking part in the Duke of Edinburgh awards (DofE). In 2018/19 more than 2,600 took part in the schemes which is not only shown to boost self esteem but develop valuable leadership skills and impress employers.


(9) In-House Bus Fleet: SCC currently operate an in-house fleet of 68 minibuses operating from seven sites around Somerset incl Taunton. These vehicles are allowed to carry a maximum of 16 passengers. Work is now underway to look at replacing some of the vehicles with full-size 53 seat buses or coaches in order to deliver resilience and cost savings but also introduce competition into the market.


(10) Children and Young Peoples Health: The Somerset Wellbeing Framework is a whole school approach to emotional health and wellbeing adopted by over 50 Schools. As part of this work SCC’s Public Health and Educational Psychology Teams have delivered a series of bite size mental health training schemes for schools. To date 250 Teaching staff have attended the self harm training, 100 Staff have attended bereavement and loss training and 100 Staff have registered for the eating disorders training in the summer. Further wellbeing work is planned for this summer at Kilve Court for up to forty young people from across the County.


(11) Hyde Lane Pedestrian Crossing. GL asked for a progress update and DF agreed to ask SCC Highways to provide.


(12) Road Safety Report. The Clerk asked DF for an update and he agreed to follow up with SCC Highways.


(13) Adsborough Bus Shelter. BB advised she had referred this to SCC Road Safety as an issue (The Clerk had also to SCC Public Transport/local Highways Inspector). SCC had advised no safety issue existed however this is not surprising as the lower end panes are removed. A suggestion that the PC provide an open cantilever shelter as an alternative was dismissed not favoured as this was felt to be worst solution for users. It was agreed to seek a site meeting.


19/80. Former District Councillors’ Report. DD and KD;

(1) Laburnum Terrace. Advised that a resident had asked when they would have yellow lines. The Clerk reminded that a letter had been hand delivered to all the residents of LT as this was a local resident’s issue; they should be able to sort out as responsible adults parking sensibly. The question of yellow lines is for SCC Highways; the PC has not asked for them as there is no enforcement.


(2) Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension 2. Asked how the developers consultation boards could be seen. The Clerk advised that SWTC had advised that the developer Persimmon/Redrow’s Consultation event held in West Monkton had been premature and had not taken account of the master planning that SWTC had commissioned. Nor had the developer honoured a commitment to consult ahead of the development of their plans with the PC and then for wider public consultation to be held in CSM. After making representations the display boards had been provided and are available for examination in the VHall upstairs room when the VHall is open. This had been communicated by social media.


(3) Adsborough. Raised a concern about the speed limit in the Adsborough. It was noted that the nature of the road naturally limited speeding on the road which is subject to national speed limit.


(4) Bull St waste bin. Asked for an update on bin. SH advised it had just arrived and that he would be installing it shortly.


(5) Rocketts Cottages Parking. Advised that he was dealing with this issue. SG asked if it the residents parking was enforceable and BB suggested the signing was too small. It was noted the issue of parking is a matter for SWTC.


19/81. Planning Applications: The following applications have been received and observations agreed;

Date

Ref

Application

Outcome

8/3/2019

14/19/0003

Land Adj to Allotments, Creech Heathfield Road, CSM. Change of use to dog exercise area with erection of field shelter,1.8m fencing and formation of parking area.

To support but want more details on lighting.

18/3/2019

14/19/0008/T

Ash Tree Cottage, CSM. Carry out management works to Tree under Preservation Order (TPO)

To support.

14/3/2019

14/19/0005

Somerset Caravans, Walford Cross. Installation of external insulated cladding to walls and roof of industrial unit.

To support

12/3/2019

38/19/0071/LDO

Nexus, 25 Local Dev Order-amendment to Master Plan to reflect further detailed Highways and Infrastructure design.

To raise a concern over the development increasing ‘rat running’ in CSM

15/3/2019

14/19/0006

Roosendal Bull Street–Erection of single storey extensions to the front and rear of CSM (amended scheme to 14/18/0021).


To Support.

7.2 Planning Application 14/19/0002 66, Leighton Drive CSM –Amendment. A decision to SUPPORT an amended application in respect as the single storey extension to be built to the side has been pushed back on the plot to retain the existing level of off street car parking was noted.

7.3 Planning Applications – received between mtgs. As the next PC meeting is not until 13th May and Applications have to be examined within 21 days it was agreed that the Clerk would circulate details on receipt as at present and then the Planning Panels recommendations a week later with a further week for comments to be made. In the event of agreement a response to SWTC would be sent by the Clerk or alternatively an additional meeting called.

7.4 Monkton Heathfield Urban Extension (MHUE2) Area. SH, BB, CC and the Clerk had met Andrew Penna,

Monkton Heathfield Project Team Leader, SWTC on 28.3.19 who had advised that initial masterplan document was being developed by SWTC’s Architects ‘Thrive’ which will be issued when the new Council is in place. No consultation has yet taken place so there will be changes before and if the developer puts in a planning application. AP advised that the developers will undertake a traffic assessment which will form part of their planning application and at that time comments can be submitted for consideration by SCC and SWTC. Amelioration will be based on the increase from current volumes as he advised that the additional traffic already from MHUE1 is now part of the base figure. CSM PC is to meet with WM PC on 4.4.19.

7.5 CSM Neighbourhood Plan. CC advised that the draft plan is still with the Independent Examiner. The further consultation being undertaken following the reassessment required after the EU legal ruling is ongoing until the 11.4.19.

Assuming no new points emerge and therefore no commentary is required this with allow the examination to move forward and the aim for a referendum tentatively programmed for June 2019.


19/82. Party in the Park 6th July and Somerset Day Clean Up 11th May 2019 (SG,CS,YG,AB) AB proposed the PIP19 budget and this was agreed. AB reported that arrangements were proceeding well.








19/83. Finance.

(1) Payments Approved: Clerks and Caretakers Wages, HMRC and SCC Pension Fund payments, the Clerks March Expense’s and other invoices received; Bibby Factors Bristol Ltd (Rec Park 3d Security 21.2.19- 17.3.19) £378.00 , Somerset West and Taunton Council (Rec Park Grass Cutting 2018) £2,788.27, EDF (Rec Park Garage Electricity 7.3.19-11.3.19) £1.40, CSM Village Hall (March Mtgs) £27.00.

(2) Sums received: HMRC (VAT refund 1.1.18-31.12.18) £5,788.39, Other (Tone Youth Pitch Fees Jan and Feb 19) £80.00, South West Lottery (March sales) £4.00 QSP Printers (Website Ad 2018) £50.00, Heathfield Health and Beauty (Website Ad 2018) £50.00, Nigel’s Window Cleaning (Website Ad 2018) £50.00. In respect of PIP19 A Birch (Fish n Chip Supper) £8.08 and £15 Stall fees rec each from Messrs White/Ingham/Elizabeth/Thornton/Selway/Westcott/Lansdell.

(3) Payments made since last meeting (as authorised at the meeting). EDF (Rec Park Garage Electricity 14.1.19-6.3.19) £9.98, British Gas (Pavilion Electricity Supply 9.2.19–8.3.19) £112.91. (Online Payments made since the last meeting from Unity Trust Account re PIP) Skintight Samba (PIP deposit £50.00 and Viridor (PIP Waste Disposal) £180.00

(4) Authority was given to make payments as accounts received. British Gas and EDF (Electricity Supply).

(5) Invoices not paid. EDF (Pavilion Gas Supply 11.2.19- 11.3.19) £Nil As acc in £19.50 credit, TDBC (Rates on former Engine Shed) 2019-20 No charge.

(6) Final Year End A/cs. The final accounts for the year 2018-2019, bank reconciliation and asset listing had been circulated previously and were reviewed in detail. The total income for the year was £82,572.45 and the Expenditure £81,098.04. The Balance in the Bank is £100,164.95 (uncommitted £21,498) at 31.3.19. These were agreed and then signed by the Chair.

(7) Annual Governance Statement. The PC then reviewed and confirmed it has undertaken each responsibility during the year and was then signed by the Chair.

(8) Accounting Statements. The Accounting Statements for the year were reviewed, agreed and signed by the Chair.

(9) Electricity Supply. The Clerk advised that he had applied for the new supply contract with EDF as requested; whilst the Engine Sheds had proceeded EDF had reported that BGas had stopped the Pavilions transfer for an unknown reason.


19/84. Rec Park Improvements (1) To update on any issues; It was noted that there had been graffiti and a fire in the Rec Park which had been reported to the Police. A suggestion that a larger Dog Waste Bin was needed was considered however it was identified that the DLO had not emptied it. The Clerk confirmed he had reported it.

(2) Improvements. SG reported that he had sought quotations from 5 suppliers for fencing. SG left the room. As the quotation pricing for fencing was for sections it was agreed to proceed with fencing three sides of the Rec Park. AB advised he had met the lowest supplier Nailsea and was content with their bid. It was decided to proceed using in part S106 money. CS reported she and the Clerk had undertaken the Tender exercise for additional play equipment/a trim trail and an additional MUGA. A variation to all suppliers had been issued on lighting following technical advice on the lighting proposal. Details were provided of the tender prices. It was decided to obtain a quote for a supply only MUGA in order to enable one company to undertake all the work on site. Prices obtained were within S106 budget. Next steps incl References being taken up, the information provided as Tender Docs examined, need to advise footballers and to meet with residents. Cashflow could be an issue so a payment schedule would need to be agreed. AB suggested installing CCTV should be considered. DF advised that this was a sensitive area and legislation/regulations need to be clearly understood before proceeding. It was agreed that the supplier would be asked to permit trunking to be laid in their trench to permit the fitting if it was decided to proceed in the future.

Action. CS and the Clerk to complete the Tender evaluation and to advise the Suppliers of the PC decisions.

(3) A permanent memorial to the late David Knight was considered and it was agreed to call the new MUGA the “David Knight MUGA” and for a plaque to be affixed in due course.


19/85. Highways. (1) Issues reported. SCC had sent a license in respect of the new bench SH/CC had installed at the junction of Arundells with Hyde Lane. GL thanked them. The license was agreed and the Chairman signed it.

(2) M5 J25. A meeting had been held with SCC Highways on 12th March and the contractors consultation event held at Ruishton Village Hall on 14th March attended. Whilst supportive of the scheme the PC had expressed its strong disappointment that no amelioration road safety work was planned for CSM during the works as had been previously promised. PCllrs had been advised by SCC that they would examine any evidence of problems as they emerge and then a decision taken on how to address. PCllrs had advised that this lack of recognition that there was an issue was simply not good enough. BB highlighted that a plan to close Hankridge roads on every sat night between 8pm and 7am for a year had not been highlighted.

Action. DF agreed to take back to SCC Highways the PC response that the lack of recognition that there is an issue on road safety and that the lack of amelioration proposed is not good enough.

(3) Road Safety. At the previous meeting it had been agreed to ask SCC if it could provide a feasibility report to show the potential options for Traffic Management to reduce speed and volumes through CSM.

Action. DF advised he had submitted the request and was awaiting a response which he would follow up on.

(4) Adsborough Bus Shelter. See item 19/79 (13) above.


19/86. Footpaths/Rights of Way. See item 19/78 (19/68) above.


19/87. Garden Town Consultation. Consideration was given to the SWTC Vision consultation report and PCllrs made decisions on the aims they wished to see included in reply.

Action. The Clerk to draft a reply based on the decisions of the PC and also to request from Env Health that the Air Quality be assessed in CSM.


19/88. Annual Parish Meeting (26th April 7pm for 7.30pm). The agenda and publicity were agreed; with banners, posters, website and social media to be used. SG offered to provide teas.



19/89. Correspondence. Three items were noted;

(1) Elections 5.2.19. The deadline for candidate to submit their nomination papers for the forthcoming Elections for the Parish Council and the Somerset West and Taunton Council which will take place on 2 May 2019 is weds 3rd April.

(2). The Bell PH-Asset of Community Value. The Clerk confirmed that SWTC had renewed the ACV status upon The Bell.


19/90. Items for next meeting. None requested.


19/91. The Council decided to exclude Public and Press for these items. (1) Allotment site. To consider next steps. (2) Canal Car Park. To consider acquisition.


Steve Altria, Clerk to Creech St Michael Parish Council 01823 666295. Email clerk@creechstmichael.net

Future Meetings;

The Annual Parish Meeting will be held at 7pm for 7.30pm April 26th Friday in the Village Hall.

The next PC mtgs are on May 13th (Annual Council Meeting) 2019 and 3rd June at 7pm Cartwright Room, Village Hall.



The meeting was closed at 9pm.