St. Michael’s Church, Creech St. Michael
The Parish Church is probably the most ancient building in the Parish. Parts of the building date back to the 12th Century. The Church can be found at the southern end of the village. It came into the ownership of the priory of Montacute in 1362 and a vicar was appointed for the first time and the church was dedicated to St Michael. Next door to the church stands the former Riverside Inn which was also once a monastic building and it is believed that this was where the monks brewed their ales. The monks would give shelter and food to passing strangers.
The parish registers date back to 1668 and the entries to 1837 have been transcribed. Some of the Registers are held at the Somerset Record Office.
The building consists of chancel, four bays, aisles and a tower on the southern side.The nave has a fine 15th Century wagon roof and there are several medieval wall paintings inside the church. The Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society visited the church in 1937 and their report makes interesting reading. Since then the church has undergone much restoration.
A Holdich organ, dating from about 1860 and which had served Rockwell Green Baptist Church until it closed in1984, was purchased by Creech St Michael parish church and was installed in 1985.
All around the church there are wall paintings of biblical texts.
The gallery was built in 1826 and was used by the musicians who accompanied the congregation before the installation of the organ.
The tower on the south side contains six bells. In 1870 there were only 5 bells, the last one being added sometime after this and probably early in the 20th Century.
Churchyard Directory and Plan
A comprehensive directory and plan of all the burial plots in the churchyard is available in the About section of the Creech website.
The Benefice of Creech St Michael, Ruishton and Thornfalcon
The Anglican church of St Michael in the parish of Creech St Michael is joined with two other Anglican churches, St. George’s in Ruishton and Holy Cross in Thornfalcon, to form the benefice of Creech St Michael, Ruishton and Thornfalcon.
The official website www.crtbenefice.org.uk for the local ‘CRT’ benefice should be visited for the latest information and details of the three churches, services and contact information.
How to contact the Rector for St. Michael’s Church
Reverend Rebecca Harris
Creech St Michael
Tel: 01823 444793
Please visit the gallery on this website for photos of St. Michael’s Church.